Friday 13 April 2012

Brass wire modelling

I've been struggling a little with pushing my work forward with this project at the moment. I took about a week off due to some reasons beyond this project, so I think work is going to be slow moving for a while anyway.

I think looking at the time I have left I felt I really needed to come up with the final piece, and I got a little panicked thinking about it. The break from work had a bit of a silver lining, as I chilled out a bit and found the best way would be to just keep doing what I was doing, and something can come from that rather than trying to push an idea forward. I decided in my last week at home to carry on with a number of ideas and images and book in a tutorial to talk about them all when I got back. 

I ordered some brass wire and set about testing it out. I went for a non-descripted animal shape at first and didn't try to make it accurate to the dimensions of a particular creature. It's my first time using the wire to model and so I used things I'd gathered from using papers to model and just went for it really. 


The wire I first got is 0.3 and it was very flimsy. It bend easily and so holding it meant it changed it's shape. I stuck with it though to see what I could do. 








The wire was hard to attach with only hands. I think I did ok with the ears as they hold their shape. It was good to get to grips with the material though and I didn't think this was too bad for a first try. I used newspaper as I didn't want to be too precious about it and why use nice paper on something you know won't be the best? 

My dad gave me some 1.5mm wire which is a lot thicker and holds it's shape. It will be good for keeping the shape secure. I also bought some 1mm wire and both the smaller wires will be good at looking at the smaller details. 


I was trying to piece together the features of a foxes face using an opened brown envelope for paper. I've been thinking about different papers and what weight of paper to use to make models. I think heavier would be sturdier but harder to manoeuvre. I quite liked the grainy texture of the inside of the brown envelope. It would be quite nice to have textured paper as it would appear more natural. 


I also painted a little on the paper for markings and fur colour. 


I made an ear structure again out of slightly thicker brass wire. Having the drawings already done helped with knowledge of shape and size. I really now need to think about putting things together. 


Here I've sewn together parts of the features to create a reasonably accurate shape of a foxes head. Sewing holds the paper together well and is more reliable than anything sticky. I think ascetically it looks nice as well. I would use thread of a different colour for a final model. 



I also wrapped around the thinner wire to see what that would do in creating the shape. It took it's time coming together and bunched up at the top. I think the inclusion of paper in the model would be the best mixture as it would create a more realistic look, and be closer to nature. It would also connect well with other work I have done and will do. 

I liked the process of making these and finding that things are actually pretty different when you start bending and wrapping the wire than just thinking about it with pen and paper in your book. Being able to walk around the object and see if from all angles helps you to look at how pieces can fit to retain their shape. I think I definitely want to carry on with this process into a final piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment