Friday 23 March 2012

Johnny Toaster presents: Pointless Posters

Wednesday 21st March was the opening of The Pointless Posters exhibition I was part of. 20 of the 3rd year Illustration students created designs to be screenprinted for a 'pointless poster'. The range of ideas and images are as diverse as the title allowed us to be. Posters are there to advertise, inform, persuade amongst other things; they have a purpose. The idea came from thinking what if images were put up that had no real meaning to them; they weren't trying to effect you for any particular reason. 

The pieces are going to be displayed for two months, I think, at The Soul Cellar in Southampton. And there are copies of each artwork available to buy. 



My design in on the far right, it's a section of lyrics to a Lana Del Rey song; Video Games. 


This was a piece done by Nichol which I've included to show the diversity of ideas. The colours used were CMYK; Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. All posters were printed on a light grey paper and all were one colour on top. This was to create a unity in the collection. 


Here is one of my unframed posters which are up for sale. While I was trying to think of what to do for this exhibition Lana Del Rey's album had just come out and I really liked 'Video Games' of which this line is a lyric. I thought it would be fun to take a line and use that to play with type and handwritten text. With the brief being so open, pretty much anything was accepted so long as there was no point to it and there we have it. There is no point to this design. 





These are just in and around the cafe, the work is dotted all over the place. 


Here is my hand drawn draft for the poster. I was originally going to cut it out but decided I liked the fainter lines where I had been adjusting to get right placements and shapes. These would be picked up when the work got exposed for screenprinting and so I decided to keep it like this. You can see the marks came out in the screenprinted version. 

(All above photographs are my own. All artwork seen is either my own or work of 3rd year students at Southampton Solent University) 


No comments:

Post a Comment