Friday 9 March 2012

Paper Creatures

I made these with some pritt stick and a bit of guess-timation so they aren't the best pieces of sculpture ever created but I wanted to try out making actual models again like I had done at the beginning of the year with a Polar Bear and a break from my dissertation. I have been thinking about creating these models to hang so they were held in a pose. At the moment my friend, Hannah, is the only thing supporting them;



This is the polar bear model I made back in october time, the idea has been hanging around for a while. I  try to get the basic shapes with curving and bending the paper but still retain the qualities of the material I'm using.



The Fox is the most successful I think, as I have been studying the shape of foxes a lot recently in drawing for this project. A lot of this is just working out how I need to fix pieces together to hold the shape and to hold it steady. 



(All above images are my own)

I have also thought about the girl in the story, a woman by the end, who just disappears. I thought about the connection of the characters to the landscape and changing seasons, and how her disappearance could be shown as winter changes to spring. The strips where there because I had no other means of creating a floating/dispersing look from material. My idea was to have a figure; the 'snow child' of the story literally disappear into Spring, as blossom and leaves. Her arm in outstretched in this model as i thought about pieces leaving her and the position shows her watching them. I thought there would be something nice about that small moment, as if she is letting herself go. 

I definitely had this image; 'While You Where Sleeping' by Su Blackwell in my mind while I was thinking about it. I like the pastel colours in the material and the idea for the aesthetic is similar to my own. I want to work on creating a good shape for the body if I where to carry on with this idea, and possibly include legs as well; as the girl 'runs' away it would be good to capture that act of escape. She doesn't run literally but the act of her leaving could be shown in the position of the figure.


(image from Constant Siege)


I had drawn a sketch of an fox. I've been thinking of making something to either hang in pieces or make, possibly the fox, for the final show. I would be nice to take my interest in paper craft and modelling further.


No comments:

Post a Comment