Thursday 2 February 2012

Final Major Project Proposal.

We had to hand in a proposal for what we wanted to do for this final major project in written form. Here is my final major project written proposal.

Final Major Proposal. 


What I really enjoyed from the last project was the creating. I liked working on the idea of masks although that was what I got stuck on before creating my final pieces; if all illustrations were to be based around masks then what could I do for all 3? Or if not, how would they all work as a collection of images? After working that through I found I really enjoyed the process of making the ‘set’ and creating things combing drawing and paper cutting.

In the last project I looked at various artists whose work I liked the look of; Gregory Elluide who uses watercolour, acrylic and gouache alongside found objects and 3D. I really like the colours used in his work and the realism mixed with texture and marks that reveal it’s a created piece. I also like mix of realism and materials in Silke Werzingers drawings. I feel really inspired to get back into drawing and sketching at the moment and think it will be the starting point for this final major project. I want this to also be an exercise, or at least within the next few weeks, to look at regaining and developing my drawing skills as well, as I have been focused on other elements of creating lately. I also like the magical quality in Su Blackwell’s paper book sculptures. These have been inspiration for me for a while and I link to the theatrical elements of my work previously and what I hope to achieve in this final major.

I don’t have a solid idea for my final piece yet but I have two half thought through ideas.

- I have an idea to create a model of a stage set; using paper and experimenting with lighting and shadow. Almost like a Toy Theatre (which would be similar to how I created the illustration for Puss-In-Boots) with layers of landscape which could maybe be moved and slid to create new scenes/illustrations. I still don’t what story would best fit this idea. I had been looking at The Tiger’s Bride by Angela Carter. Or I could look back at my work on fairytales as it seems to fit the style I’m interested in. I would also like to carry on looking at masks and creating things from drawings. I’m a little unsure of what context this idea could be in; whether the scenery is photographed for book illustrations or put together as something to actually use.

- My other idea is to do a box set of possibly a TV series, or book series and design the covers, almost like posters without using the actors/characters faces. Again, I don’t know what to chose as my topic. I wondered about doing something unusual; How I Met Your Mother or choosing something that has gone through many incarnations; Sherlock. Or choosing a series that has come from a book/a series of classics that have been recreated onscreen. However with this idea it doesn’t really utilise my inspiration from the previous project and what I discovered I wanted to continue with.

There is a possibly the two ideas could merge.


Thoughts on proposal
I've had to hand this proposal in before coming up with a fully realised idea. I am aware that much of what I've written will change and much of any idea I do have now will change along the way. I would have liked to have had a bit more time from the end of the last project and handing this in to fully think of something as I didn't really think about it properly until I had handed in my last project. I think it's ok not to have an idea yet though, as it's got to be something that I can stick with until Spring and there hasn't been anything that's caught my attention or inspiration and so that just means I have to keep working on things I would like to do and look around and think more on a context for it. This was a good exercise to do as it's got my mind thinking logically and in order which will be beneficial in the project.











No comments:

Post a Comment