Saturday 12 May 2012

Interior illustrations development; shadows

I've started work on other images for my final as well as I want time to develop them. A few weeks ago I made this;





The content relates to the novel but I was really using something that I could create quickly. I've had the image of the cabin and outhouses for a while but never really knew how to develop it and not just make it literal. There are various parts in the story that centre around the homestead but I couldn't see how to create an image that wouldn't just be what happens on the page. 
This flatter paper work I think works nicely with the model's I've been making. There are other options with this work as well; scene creation and more conceptual compositions. In this story a lot of the events foreshadow future events. The symbolism is quite situational, for example to fox being shot goes on to symbolise Faina's transition into civilisation, and there are less similies and metaphors used to create meaning and symbols. The girl runs into a flock of white ptarmigan and when I read this is stood out to me in terms of visual imagery and in foreshadowing and symbolism. Birds represent freedom a lot of the time and I think them scattering at Faina's running is significant as straight after she fully accepts communication with other human beings and begins to grow up and experience human traits including losing her virginity and the colour white is significant to represent innocence. 

As the message and story is shown through events I thought it fitted well with the almost 'set' like image making and paper cut work. Paper cuts train you to think more in terms of composition, and how it will all stay together. Separate pieces is slightly easier to piece together and bring in new aesthetic qualities like shadow and viewpoint. 




I thought when I photographed the model there would be shadow in the image as well. I did this to see what shadows it did make and I think it describes the shape quite well, you can still tell what it is. When I come to photograph this for my final image I think I'll experiment with lighting it and seeing what effect that has on the image. You can't really test out before hand and will have to spend some time once I've actually got the equipment. 




On to the image I mentioned earlier, the white ptarmigan. This piece has two layers of scattering birds which will create shapes through the paper and a mix up of shadow behind it. I've used the same paper that I made the fox from and will paint over some sections in muted colours to break up the white, the colours also relate to the descriptions in the book.


This image is a little blurry as I couldn't focus with my other hand but you can sort of see the different shapes and shadows created by layering the images. 


Laid out flat I just ordered the pieces to place them. 


Here is a wider shot of the whole scene. I added a boy as in the story the boy, Garett, is there with her as she runs into the birds. I also made a few smaller pieces of a few birds to put in front of the running girl. I don't know whether I will use all the pieces I've made but decided to make them to play around with. I can also set up a whole scene and crop in when photographing like I have done below. 



I made her dress blue as although she wears a coat in this scene I thought it would make the body too bulky, I like the movement in the dress material and in the story it isn't unlikely that Faina could run around in the snow wearing just a dress. The balls flying around from her boots are to indicate moccasins which she always wears. 


I'm really please with how this image looks as though it is coming together. I have to create my other images first and then take them to be photographed with proper equipment. I think I'm going to have to spread out photographing everything as it will be a lot to carry.



No comments:

Post a Comment