Friday 18 May 2012

Summary

I've enjoyed this project in the most part. There's definitely been some ups and downs. I think it was a bit slow starting as I didn't have a full idea of what I wanted to do at the start of the project and once I had chosen I didn't know what it could culminate in for some time.
I think I've pushed myself to explore new ways of working and to develop my work with paper and to explore opportunities with other materials which I think has been successful.
I think my influences have stayed strong throughout, including theatre design and model creation; like Forkbeard Fantasy, I feel in hindsight my fox has been influenced by seeing those models earlier.
I've enjoyed finding new research, artists and work along the project; like the window display for the e.e Cummings poem.
I think it would have been better to of had a clearer idea and outline of what to create sooner in the project; I wanted to give myself time to develop and change too but I think having a more detailed starting point would have been beneficial from this end of the project.
I think without all my final pieces completed it's hard to judge how it culminated but I have a good feeling about the pieces I have made and am pleased with how they look. I like the mix of using literal scenes from the book but also using them to create impressions of the characters and to foreshadow events that come later. I remember something Quentin Blake had said 'illustrate the moment just before or just after a scene' which was something I've had in mind for the creation of my images.
I think the way I've created the imagery has been in keeping with the style of writing; there is a mix of fantasy and reality and I think with creating set like pieces with staged scenes and light and shadow the two connect well and create a good atmosphere of the sense of place and climate.
Over the past 3 years I'm pleased to have developed into a way of working which I find fun and engaging. I think there is a lot of possibilities to explore and experiment with and I don't feel like I've set myself in a single way of working. I feel there are lots of opportunities to try new things and can adapt my way of working. I feel confident that the work I do produce has a running style with either drawn work or paper cuts. I think some of my work from this project has veered off from that style but this was for experiemental purposes. I look forward to creating new work in the ways I have developed at my time here at uni and in this project.
I'm looking forward to having this project finished and to setting it up in our show. It will be a good end to the past few months work.

No comments:

Post a Comment